About Us / Press
- The Basics of SEO
Looking to optimize your website. Read tips from TripAdvisor's Head of SEO!
- Fire + Ice Founder Visits the Sandbox
Jim Miller Talks about the successes & "fckups" in his career. Read more!
- Sandbox Featured in Forbes
Take a look at this great article in Forbes on how the Sandbox is promoting entrepreneurship for all!
- Steve Grossman Stop by the Sandbox
Read more about the gubernatorial candidate's visit with our entrepreneurs!
- Sandbox Receives Major News Coverage
Recently, the Sandbox has been featured in NPR, the Boston Globe, and other major outlets. Read more!
- Sandbox Featured in the Boston Globe
Our very own David Parker sits down with the Globe to talk about the Sandbox Accelerator and more!
- Sandbox Director Speaks at TEDxLowell
Watch this great video of our very own David Parker talking about Redefining Entrepreneurship!
- Sandbox Entrepreneur Chosen as MassChallenge Finalist
See which one of our top entrepreneurs was chosen for the annual $1M global accelerator competition!
- Accelerator Finalists Announced
See which ventures will be taking part in the 2014 Sandbox Summer Accelerator!
- Sandbox Summit Pass Now Only $25
Purchase your tickets for our biggest event of the year!
- Semi-Finalists Announced for Summer Accelerator
See which ventures made it to our semi-finalist round!
- Sandbox Entrepreneur Named Top 50 Thought Leader
See which one of our entrepreneurs was named by Boston Magazine as a top 50 thought leader!
- Student Entrepreneur Showcase
On Tuesday, see Lowell and Lawrence's top student entrepreneurs showcase their ventures!
- Sandbox Director to Speak at TEDxLowell
On April 27th, the Sandbox Executive Director will be speaking at the first ever TEDxLowell!
- Mass Innovation Nights is Coming to Lowell
On April 9th, see ten products launch at the Sandbox Space!
- Sandbox Mentioned on WGBH Radio
Listen to this great story on how the Sandbox can be a model for other cities across the nation!
- Sandbox Featured in Xconomy
Read this great story on how the Sandbox is promoting a new type of innovation!
- Remembering Christina Hamilton
Last Week, the Sandbox lost one of our entrepreneurs. Read more on how you can help honor her memory.
- Governor Patrick Visits the Sandbox
The Sandbox recently was awarded a $150K grant by Governor Patrick. Read more!
- Sandbox Featured in the Boston Globe
Read about the impact that the Sandbox has had on Lowell & Lawrence in this great piece!
- Dates Announced for Sandbox Summit 2014
See when we will be holding our biggest event of next year!
The Sandbox has been featured in prominent media outlets including:
For all media inquiries, contact:
Emil Kuruvilla, Senior Marketing Manager
Featured Sandbox Story
- Finding the Next Zuckerberg in Lawrence, MA (Forbes, June 24, 2014)
Student Entrepreneur Program
- Future nurse began caring for others at young age (Eagle Tribune, September 1, 2013)
- Over 100 Student & Youth Entrepreneurs Showcase Innovative Ideas (Lokvani, April 25, 2013)
- Sandbox’s Catalyst Showcase is Wednesday (The Valley Dispatch, April 23, 2013)
- UML entrepreneurs win pitch contest with crutches that support technology (Lowell Sun, December 1, 2012)
- Local student entrepreneurs to pitch their ideas (Boston Globe, November 28, 2012)
- Over 200 Student and Youth Entrepreneurs Experience Entrepreneurship (Lokvani, November 8, 2012)
- Sandbox Session (Lowell Sun, November 3, 2012)
- Catalyst students talk about “Mind Mouse” (WSMN 1590, February 20, 2012)
- Northern Essex Community College Student Catalyst talks about “i-Fix” (WSMN 1590, February 13, 2012)
- Teens get into the business sandbox (Eagle Tribune, September 23, 2011)
- There’s No Child Play in this Sandbox (Lowell Sun, July 8, 2011)
- Out of the Box, and into the Sandbox (Merrimack Valley Business Magazine, June 2011)
Education Innovation Challenge
- Kennedy learns about new ways of teaching math and science (Eagle Tribune, August 23, 2013)
- Lessons in art–and community pride (Eagle Tribune, August 2, 2013)
- Sandbox Celebrated it’s First Fundraising Event (El Mundo, June 27, 2014)
- Finding the Next Zuckerberg in Lawrence, MA (Forbes, June 24, 2014)
- Grossman: Tax help, fewer fees can fuel Mass. startups (Lowell Sun, June 21, 2014)
- Patrick touts commitment to job growth in Lowell, Pepperell (Lowell Sun, June 10, 2014)
- Patrick to visit Lowell, Methuen, and Pepperell Tuesday (Lowell Sun, June 9, 2014)
- Who Wants to Be an Entrepreneur (Lowell Sun, May 29, 2014)
- Sandbox Summit set for June 9-10 at UMass Lowell (Eagle Tribune, May 25, 2014)
- Sandbox Summit 2014 to Feature Governor Patrick & Desh Deshpande (India New England, May 23, 2014)
- Lawrence, Lowell Launch Startup Mills (WGBH, March 14, 2014)
- Merrimack Valley Startups Pushing Local Innovation, Global Lessons (Xconomy, March 10, 2014)
- MV Sandbox wins grant to aid entrepreneurs (Andover Townsman, February 13, 2014)
- Governor Patrick touts entrepreneurship, Sandbox in visit to Lowell (KhmerPost USA, February 11, 2014)
- El Golbernador dona $150 mil al Programa de Mentores de Sandbox (Rumbo, February 8, 2014)
- Governor Deval Patrick Visits Deshpande Foundation’s Merrimack Valley Sandbox, Awards a $150K Grant (India New England, February 7, 2014)
- Merrimack Valley Sandbox gets $150K state grant to spur entrepreneurs (Eagle Tribune, February 7, 2014)
- Governor touts labor innovation, reinvention in Lowell (Lowell Sun, February 5, 2014)
- Gov. Patrick visits Sandbox, Operon in Lowell (Lowell Sun, February 4, 2014)
- Lowell organization named Gateway Cities Innovator (Lowell Sun, November 13, 2013)
- Building dreams at the Sandbox (Andover Townsman, July 11, 2013)
- Merrimack Valley Sandbox motivates local entrepreneurs (Lowell Sun, July 12, 2013)
- Entrepreneurs, business leaders converge during first-ever Sandbox Summit (India New England, June 12, 2013)
- Merrimack Valley Sandbox to Hold First Ever Sandbox Summit (GoLocalWorcester.com, June 6, 2013)
- Time in the Sandbox (Merrimack Valley Magazine, April 25, 2013)
- Sandbox Helps Entrepreneurs Reinvent Themselves (Boston Globe, April 4, 2013)
- Jugaad: Indian Ingenuity (WGBH Boston, July 12, 2012)
- Organizations Dealing with Issues of Education in Lawrence (Siglo 21, September 1, 2011)
- Deshpande backs new ‘sandbox’ initiative (IndoUS Business Journal, February 8, 2011)
- Desh Deshpande on Starting Merrimack Valley Innovation Center—and Making a Global Impact from Massachusetts to India (xconomy.com, January 6, 2011)
- UMass will host creative “sandbox” (Boston Globe, December 23, 2010)
- Merrimack Valley Sandbox Launched (WBZ 1030, December 20, 2010)
- Donation of $5M will start Merrimack Valley Sandbox (Eagle Tribune, December 10, 2010)
- Deshpande Foundation puts $5M into Merrimack Valley Sandbox (Mass High Tech, December 9, 2010)
Programas en Español
- Emprendedores latinos lanzaron sus ideas (El Mundo Boston, May 16, 2014)
- Otorgan fondos para plan de mentores empresariales en Lowell (Univision Boston, February 4, 2014)
- Concurso para emprendedores latinos (Univision Boston, January 13, 2014)
- Ganadores concurso Lanza tu idea (El Mundo, August 22, 2013)
- Sandbox celebra su primer concurso en espanol (Rumbo, August 22, 2013)
Sandbox Entrepreneur Program
- Sandbox preps for next Accelerator Program (Lowell Sun, April 22, 2014)
- It’s Accelerator Season: Here’s how to make the cut at LearnLaunchX, MassChallenge, and more (BetaBoston, March 21, 2014)
- Resident recognized at Sandbox Winter Accelerator Awards (Boston Globe, March 16, 2014)
- Venture Helping Homeless Children Takes Top Prize at 2014 Sandbox Winter Awards (India New England, March 11, 2014)
- Catie’s Closet a Sandbox Winner (Lowell Sun, March 9, 2014)
- 14 Merrimack Valley entrepreneurs feted (Eagle Tribune, March 7, 2014)
- Deadline approaching for upcoming Merrimack Valley Sandbox competitions (India New England, January 28, 2014)
- Innovation happening north of Boston, too (Boston Globe, January 26, 2014)
- The Merrimack Valley Sandbox – Creating a Path for Entrepreneurs (Valley Patriot, December 2013)
- Sandbox Beams as Entrepreneurial Star is Born (Lowell Sun, November 4, 2013)
- Deadline for Next Sandbox Accelerator (Lowell Sun, October 24, 2013)
- Deadline approaching for Merrimack Valley Sandbox Competition (India New England, October 15, 2013)
- A fast pitch by Catie’s Closet (Lowell Sun, October 7, 2013)
- Teen pitches innovative app idea at recent Merrimack Valley Sandbox Competition (India New England, October 4, 2013)
- Sandbox’s Final ’13 Pitch Has a Lot of Lowell (Lowell Sun, October 1, 2013)
- Young Lexington Inventor to Pitch Animal Shelter App at Local ‘Shark Tank’ Like Competition (Lexington Patch, September 29, 2013)
- Canton entrepreneur wins $5,000 Summer Accelerator Award (Canton Citizen, September 19, 2013)
- Foundation gives $30K Boost (Andover Townsman, September 19, 2013)
- Lowell entrepreneur tops in the Sandbox (Lowell Sun, September 12, 2013)
- $30,000 at stake for best entrepreneur (Lowell Sun, September 9, 2013)
- Sandbox Accelerator Awards featuers co-founder/CEO of TripAdvisor (Rumbo, September 8, 2013)
- Singh triumphant at local Merrimack Valley Sandbox Pitch Contest ( India New England, August 15, 2013)
- 99Degrees breaks pattern with custom clothes (Boston Herald, June 16, 2013)
- Sandbox Entrepreneurial Pitch Tonight (Lowell Sun, May 9, 2013)
- Sandbox’s Summer Accelerator Starts in June (Lowell Sun, May 1, 2013)
- Lineup set for Sandbox pitch Contest (Lowell Sun, March 21, 2013)
- Top Entrepreneurs Win $25K Prize Pool at Sandbox Accelerator Awards Celebration (Lokvani, March 12, 2013)
- Lawrence entrepreneur takes part of $25K Prize Pool at Sandbox Accelerator Awards Celebration (Rumbo, March 8, 2013)
- Several Lowell connections among Accelerator winners (Lowell Sun, March 7, 2013)
- Sandbox Accelerator Finale features $25K prize pool (Rumbo, March 1, 2013)
- Accelerator Awards Celebration (Rumbo, February 22, 2013)
- Entrepreneur sets wheels in motion (The Lowell Sun, January 22, 2013)
- Backed by Deshpande Foundation, Merrimack Valley Sandbox runs Winter Accelerator Program (India New England, January 8, 2013)
- A veteran’s best friend as dark memories rise (Boston Globe, December 30, 2012)
- Lexington startup seeks to empower women entrepreneurs (Lexington Minuteman, October 25, 2012)
- Chelmsford woman wins ‘Sandbox’ pitch (Chelmsford Independent, October 22, 2012)
- Chelmsford mom jumps from the sandbox into to the trenches to help veterans, dogs (Lowell Sun, October 19, 2012)
- They are Rebel Women (Lexington Patch, October 18, 2012)
- Would-Be Entrepreneurs Get Chance To Shine, Win Money At Umass-Lowell (WBZ New England, October 17, 2012)
- Northborough resident vies for $10,000 (The MetroWest Daily News, October 17, 2012)
- Local entrepreneurs have their eyes on a bigger prize (Eagle Tribune, October 14, 2012)
- Who will Rule the Merrimack Valley Sandbox? (Lowell Sun, October 12, 2012)
- Entrepreneurs prepare for showdown in Merrimack Valley (Mass High Tech, October 11, 2012)
- Taking Literacy to the Streets: Storyteller pitches idea at business competition (The Andover Townsman, September 27, 2012)
- Entrepreneurs Pitch Their Innovative Education, Environment, And Human Services Ideas (Lokvani, September 26, 2012)
- Lawrence Entrepreneurs Shine at Sandbox Pitch Contest (Rumbo, September 22, 2012)
- Deshpande Foundation puts entrepreneurs in the sandbox (India New England, September 18, 2012)
- Lowell pitch contest to get cameras rolling for pilot program (Lowell Sun, September 17, 2012)
- Deadline set for Merrimack Valley Sandbox September Pitch Contest (Boston Globe, August 19, 2012)
- Lawrence woman wins $1,000 at business pitch contest (Eagle Tribune, July 10, 2012)
- Middleton mom pitches ‘Tear and Wipe’ invention to judges at pitch contest (Wicked Local Middleton, July 2, 2012)
- Entrepreneurs showcase their arts and consumer products ideas at Sandbox Pitch Contest (Rumbo, July 1, 2012)
- Entrepreneurs play in this Sandbox (Lowell Sun, June 25, 2012)
- First Place Arts/Consumer Products Pitch Contest Winner Talks about Experience (WSMN 1590, June 25, 2012)
- Arts/Consumer Products Pitch Contest Host Joins Friends of Kevin (WSMN 1590, June 18, 2012)
- Tech pitch contest winner talks about his pitch contest experience (WSMN 1590, June 12, 2012)
- Lowell launches contest for entrepreneurs to pitch ideas (Nashua Telegraph, May 16, 2012)
- Pitch your idea at Sandbox’s Latest Program (Lowell Sun, April 27, 2012)